Photo of the attorneys of Costello, Mains and Silverman, LLC

Advocates for NJ and PA
Workers & Their Families

Partners and Counsel of Costello, Mains & Silverman, LLC
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Wage & Hour Laws
  4.  » What to do if your employer changes your pay rate

What to do if your employer changes your pay rate

On Behalf of | Feb 26, 2020 | Wage & Hour Laws |

When you sign an employment contract, you expect your employer to live up to the terms and conditions for the duration of your employment.

However, many things can go wrong during your time together, such as your employer attempting to change your pay rate.

While a raise is always welcomed, you never want to find that your employer is cutting your pay. If this happens, here are some of the more important steps you can take:

  • Review your contract: This is where you’ll find language regarding your pay rate, including any conditions that may allow for your employer to reduce how much you earn.
  • Ask for an explanation: If you’ve yet to receive one, ask your supervisor and/or the HR department for clarification on why your pay was cut. This will allow you to better understand your situation, while also helping you decide what to do next.
  • Request a change back to your original pay: If your employer doesn’t have legal grounds to reduce your pay, explain your situation and request a change back to your original rate. If nothing else, this gives the company a clear idea that you don’t have any plan of being taken advantage of.

There are times when a pay cut is legal, such as in the event of company downsizing. There are also times when it is illegal, such as to “teach you a lesson” for filing a discrimination or sexual harassment complaint.

As you learn more about your situation, it’ll become clear as to how you can best protect your legal rights.