Photo of the attorneys of Costello, Mains and Silverman, LLC

Advocates for NJ and PA
Workers & Their Families

Partners and Counsel of Costello, Mains & Silverman, LLC
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Employee Rights
  4.  » What you need to file a wage and hour complaint

What you need to file a wage and hour complaint

On Behalf of | Jan 16, 2020 | Employee Rights |

If you have a wage and hour complaint, don’t hesitate to discuss your concerns with your supervisor, company owner and/or human resources department. This doesn’t always result in a fast and efficient resolution to the problem, but it’s the first step in better understanding what’s gone wrong and how to fix it.

Should your employer ignore your questions and make no attempt to resolve the issue, it’s time to file a formal wage and hour complaint with the Wage and Hour Division (WHD) of the Department of Labor.

Here’s the type of information you’ll need in order to file a complaint:

  • Your name, address and contact information, including telephone number
  • The name, address and contact information of your employer
  • Your job title, job description and a brief breakdown of the work completed
  • Payment details, including your regular pay, how often you’re paid and the method in which you receive pay
  • An overview of the violations, providing as much information as you can to back up your claim
  • The date(s) of the violations

It shouldn’t take too long to collect the above information, as it’s either common knowledge or you’ve probably already done so.

Once you file your formal complaint, the WHD will conduct an investigation, provide their findings and if applicable, help you recover any compensation that is due to you.

It’s your hope that you can work out any wage and hour complaint directly with your employer, as it’s the quickest way of getting back on track. However, if that doesn’t work, don’t look the other way. You’ve earned your money, and you deserve to receive payment.