Contact Us

The firm anticipates reopening when Gov. Murphy allows us to do so. When we reopen, we will be operating in a “Safe Mode” which will require strict adherence to safe interaction with one another and with the public.

Click here* for more information regarding Costello & Mains “Safe Mode” Protocols.

Costello & Mains, LLC
Call for a Free Consultation
856-291-0642 800-421-0212

Recovering back wages from an employer

If you believe that your current employer or a former employer owes you unpaid wages, you deserve to understand the rights you have to fair pay and the steps you can take to resolve the dispute. The good news is that employees who do not receive fair pay for their work have a number of ways they may pursue fair compensation.

In some cases, the simplest path to a just resolution is a private lawsuit against the employer to recover the lost pay. In a private suit, an employee may reasonably seek the amount of wages originally unpaid, as well an equal amount in additional damages. Furthermore, such a suit can also seek damages to cover legal fees and court costs.

Similarly, the Secretary of Labor may get involved by filing suit against the employer, especially if the case involves underpaid minimum wage or wrongfully withheld overtime. However, once the Secretary of Labor or some other official party files suit against an employer, or supervises the restitution for unpaid work, a worker may not also file a private suit to recover damages.

It is also important to understand that filing a claim for unpaid wages has a fairly short statute of limitations. In many cases, a worker must file for unpaid wages within two years of the violation, or within three years if the worker can prove that the violation was willful on the part of the employer.

Do not wait to begin building a strong claim to seek fair compensation for your unpaid work if you have not already. The longer you wait, the fewer options you have, making it all that much more difficult to resolve the conflict fairly and keep your rights and privileges protected.

Source: FindLaw, "How to Report Unpaid Wages and Recover Back Pay," accessed Feb. 16, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Free Case Review Fill out this form for a free, Immediate, Case Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

18000 Horizon Way, Suite 800
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054

Toll Free: 800-421-0212
Phone: 856-291-0642
Fax: 856-727-9797
Mount Laurel Law Office Map