As employees, we all want to be recognized for our skills, experience, and achievements. When an employer treats an employee unfairly because of his or her age, the whole workplace suffers.
How can you recognize signs of age discrimination at work? It is not always easy to recognize, as the signs may be subtle. It may involve one employee or a group of employees. It may initiate from a coworker or from management. Here are some common examples:
- Making inappropriate comments or jokes about an employee’s age
- Denying promotions because of an employee’s age
- Firing an employee because of his or her age
- Assigning unequal pay or denying benefits
- Repeatedly asking an employee about his or her retirement plans
- Suggesting age preference in a job description (“seeking young, dynamic employees”)
The law protects employees against all types of discrimination and harassment in the workplace. The law also protects employees from retaliation by an employer for reporting the company’s illegal or discriminatory practices.
It is important that age discrimination victims learn about their legal rights. Victims may be eligible for compensation. After years of faithful employment, these employees deserve better.
Free case review: If you have experienced age discrimination at work, you deserve to learn about your options. Schedule a free case review at Costello & Mains, LLC, by calling 866-944-3371.